The recipe is from my Healthy Cooking magazine (my favorite recipe magazine).
Makeover Pumpkin Spice Bread
With less than half the fat and just one-fourth the calories of the original recipe, more people can feel good about eating this fall favorite. Heidi Figiel - Bridgeport, W. Virginia
CATEGORY: Low Fat
TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (I used whole wheat flour, and you couldn't even tell)
- 1-1/3 cups cake flour (I didn't have cake flour, so I just used bread flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 eggs
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup canola oil
Directions:In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, pumpkin, buttermilk, applesauce and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
Transfer to two 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with moist crumbs. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).