Monday, May 2, 2011

Meatloaf...Perfected

There are few meals that everyone in the house enjoys. But meatloaf is one of them. I was bummed to have to miss out on it, with all those breadcrumbs and eggs. It seems, though, that I have perfected an allergy-free, and dare I say, tastier version.

2 tbs flax seed meal
6 tbs water

1 1/2 lbs ground meat (Any combination of turkey, beef or pork will work. I use turkey when I feel like being good, but 1 lb hamburger to 1/2 lb pork is my favorite)
1 onion, finely chopped
3/4 C oats (gluten free if needed)
3 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp worcestershire

1/3 C ketchup
1/3 C brown sugar
1 tsp worcestershire

Preheat oven to 350. Line a cookie sheet with foil.

In a small bowl mix flax seed meal and water. Let set for a few minutes.

In a large mixing bowl, mix meat, onion, oats, salt, pepper, ginger and 1 tsp worcestershire. Form into a loaf shape on the cookie sheet.

In a small bowl mix ketchup, brown sugar and 1 tsp worcestershire. Spread over the top and sides of the loaf. Bake for 1 hour.

I always serve this with mashed potatoes and green beans.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Andrea @ Knitty Bitties said...

Mmmm. You can invite me over next time too :). My family doesn't care for it, but I love a good meatloaf. So glad you could make this work ... necessity is the mother of invention, right? :D