Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Are you up for the challenge?

We are. The oatmeal challenge, that is.

My first trimester diet was the furthest from ideal. When I finally mustered up enough appetite to eat something, I just ate whatever sounded good. Mostly McDonald's cheeseburgers, crackers, chips, french fries... you get the idea. But now that I'm feeling really good (and Jeff was tired of eating such heavy meals for dinner) I decided it's time to start feeding my body, and my baby, better food again. In comes the oatmeal. I'm a sucker for boxed cereal, and it's just so easy to feed it to Claire on mornings when I'm rolling out of bed right when I should be feeding her breakfast. But really, there isn't a lot of nutrition to be had in these highly processed foods. I had kind of forgotten about oatmeal until stumbling upon this post. What a great idea! I love oatmeal, I love the idea of not having to think up what to make each morning, and I really loved the price tag. So, I decided upon this recipe and we had oatmeal Monday morning and today (of course, one day into the challenge I ran out of oats, not great planning on my part). YUM! I was a little worried that Claire might not be as excited about it as I was, but letting her choose her toppings makes it fun for her.


Claire's bowl: Blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, peanut butter and a dab of honey.



My bowl: Butter, honey, cinnamon and pecans. (I'm also a HUGE fan of coconut oil in my oatmeal).

I've also been reading Nourishing Traditions. Whew, talk about an eye-opening book about food. Most diet/nutrition books regurgitate the same info I've heard in every other, but this book has my head spinning. It's going to take a couple of reads because she throws a lot of science in there, but I'm really starting to look at food in a new way. Over the past few years I've made a lot of healthy and positive changes to my diet, but this book would call for an overhaul. It'll take some time to make the changes, but I'm excited. For starters, I'm going to be more diligent about soaking my grains, including my oatmeal, and using whole fat, organic dairy products.

Let me know if you decide to take the challenge with me.

No comments: